Sign in or
|The World Trade Center towers were not just rectangular shells with 110 floors. The outside surface of the towers hid a lot of structure inside that we need to understand.|
The most important structures were:
This photograph (copied from Studyof911.com) is explained on Understanding The Silhouetted Images Of The Twin Towers.
The towers had a strong core structure and perimeter columns all around the outside. The 47 core columns held up approximately 60% of the vertical load, and the 244 perimeter columns distributed the remaining 40% across the four walls, 10% per wall. (See Why Trade Center Towers Stood, Then Fell, November 11, 2001, which gives the official conspiracy theory, along with some useful info.)
| Some people still try to make the incorrect case that there was only a relatively weak hollow core structure, or that it had concrete columns, or none at all. Here is a diagram showing what they wanted us to believe about the structure: |
All the elevator shafts were integrated with the core columns. Local elevators did not extend the entire height of the towers.
In order for each floor to hold up all the floors above it, the columns in lower floors must be much stronger and heavier than those above. In fact, the core columns on the bottom were 10 times more massive compared to those near the top.
So the rectangular-shaped towers were actually built more like pyramids internally, as suggested by this perspective image
|Actual construction photos make the real structure clear. Notice the extensive horizontal and diagonal cross bracing, particularly on the corner columns of the core. |
Actual floor plans were withheld from the public for more than five years, and finally leaked by a whistleblower. (see Tower Blueprints - Surviving Evidence of the World Trade Center Attack )
The floor plans exposed the misrepresentation by FEMA and NIST of the true structure, which helped them support their theory of how a gravity-driven collapse occurred.
The towers were designed, by standard building practice, such that the columns at each floor could resist the weight of 5 times all the floors above it.
This means each tower could have had 5 times as many floors before being on the verge of collapsing under its own weight, as shown on the right. (Actually, it probably would have tipped over first.)
3D Visualization of WTC
This video (posted by natetruth on youtube) shows the 3D structure throughout the towers, animated as if it were being constructed.
WTC CoreLongish video (by mmmlink - on youtube) shows details of the strong, dense core column structure, in contrast to the misleading FEMA and NIST assumptions.
(Note: don't take the diagonal cutting charges as a proposed theory. Take it as a possibility.)
WTC Finite Element AnalysisThis video (by mmmlink - on youtube) shows a fairly detailed model of the structure of the towers, and simulates the forces it would experience when parts are removed.
(Note, the illustrations of demolition charges should be taken as possibilities to consider.)
- Building the World Trade Center - also at youtube, part 1 and part 2
- Analysis of the Mass and Potential Energy of World Trade Center Tower 1
- Calculation of Mass and Potential Energy in WTC1
- World Trade Center Building Design with Floor and Elevator Arrangement
- The NIST Report on the World Trade Center Collapse one year later: Still Dead On Arrival
Latest page update: made by liberte
, Oct 7 2009, 9:45 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by liberte
2 images added
1 image deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.